Sunday, February 1, 2009

Make your own coffee pods - easy and cheap

An empty pod ready to begin filling
I love my Senseo coffee maker, but I was having problems finding a variety of coffee flavors to use in in. My local grocery store started selling only the basics (dark roast, caffeine free, French Vanilla) and as a newbie, I wanted to try other flavors. I also prefer to drink decaf most of the time and the decaf pods in my store were not flavored.

So when my Mom wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas, I was going to ask for pods which you can order from the Senseo website (but you have for shipping which makes them even more expensive). While searching to alternate sites that sold pods, I discovered Eco-pads reusuable pods for sale on Amazon.com. I asked for a set for Christmas along with a coffee grinder.

It is now February 1st and I have been testing them for over a month and here are the results of my extensive testing -- the reusable pods are FANTASTIC!

Here are the pros:
  • Easy to fill
  • Easy to wash (can go in the dishwasher, but a simple rinse is OK most of the time)
  • Saves money
  • Saves the environment
  • Good sturdy quality looks like they will last a long time
  • Works great in the Senseo machine
  • Can be prefilled and kept in an airtight container for quick use
And the cons:
  • Package only came with 2 pods - I want to buy more so I can have lots prefilled
  • If you typically use just one pod in your machine, the pods are larger than you normally use and it might make the coffee two strong for you if you use the 4 ounce setting.
Two reusuable pods were less than the cost of 3 packages of pods. Because the pod is large, it uses the two-pod holder in the machine and holds about 2 tablespoons of ground coffee. My Mom paid about $12 for the two which means they cost less than 3 packages of pods. This makes them extremely economical. While writing this, I discovered they are on sale at the moment for less than $10, so guess who is ordering more today!
Filled and ready for the lid to be snapped on

I highly recommend these pods and I am enjoying experimenting with different coffees. My next blog will tell you about the results of my taste tests with the different coffee flavors and brands. You will be surprised.
A filled pod ready to use

No comments: