Thursday, September 25, 2008

How to photograph sunsets


I am often frustrated when trying to take photographs of sunsets. They are never even close to what I was seeing in real life. Today I read a hint that I hope to try someday soon.

The simple trick is to start by aiming above the sun. Aim high enough so that you can't see the sun through the viewfinder and then hold the shutter button down halfway to set the focus. Now you can lower the viewfinder and compose your picture exactly how you want it. Don't let up on the shutter button though. When you have the shot you want, push the shutter button the rest of the way to take the shot.

As you can see in this photo, we didn't know this trick yet. We were actually trying another trick to make it look like I was holding the sun. Perhaps this new trick will help with that trick also.

No comments: